Welcoming a new little puppy into the family is a joyful and life-changing process. You will find countless fun ways to bond with them. But, raising a newborn pooch is also a lot of work; one of the most significant things you are probably looking into is the best dry puppy food. A vital foundation of your sweetheart’s health is providing him the premium quality food that fulfills his unique nutritional needs depending on his breed, age, and weight, from the beginning.
If you own multiple mutts, you might assume it is okay to serve mature dogs and growing puppies the same food. But according to vets, young canines have different nutritional requirements compared to mature doggies. Also, they have tiny, sensitive tummies, so they require easily digestible food.
Their food must contain higher levels of protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other nutrients. You should feed them formulas that are specifically designed for them until they are skeletally mature –around 12 months for small and medium breed hounds and between 14 and 18 months for large breed pooches.
As there are hundreds of dry puppy food options available in the market, so finding the absolute best vet-recommended puppy food can be a challenge. So, we asked seven veterinarians and animal nutritionists to help us find the best food for a German shepherd puppy with a sensitive stomach.
In this article, we will share with you a list of 15 top-rated dry kibbles in 2021. You will find answers in our extensive reviews and will learn about ingredients, flavor, feeding frequencies, consumer and expert reviews, and more.
|Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food, 2.5 pounds||Prime||Buy Now|
|Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Puppy, Small Bites, Chicken Meal & Barley Recipe, 4.5 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice 15-lb||Prime||Buy Now|
|Purina ONE Natural Dry Puppy Food, SmartBlend Healthy Puppy Formula - 16.5 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|PEDIGREE Puppy Growth & Protection Dry Dog Food Chicken & Vegetable Flavor, 36 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Canine Grain-Free Recipe with Smoked Salmon Dry Dog Food, for Growing Puppies, Made with High Protein from Real Salmon 5lb||Prime||Buy Now|
|Amazon Brand - Wag Dry Dog Food for Puppies, Chicken & Lentil Recipe (15 lb. Bag)||Prime||Buy Now|
|Merrick 38569 Grain Free Dry Puppy Food Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe - 22.0 Lb Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Purina Pro Plan Brand Large Breed Dry Puppy Food, Chicken & Rice Formula - 18 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Instinct Raw Boost Puppy Grain Free Recipe with Real Chicken Natural Dry Dog Food by Nature's Variety, 4 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Smart Puppy Dry Dog Food with Real Chicken, 15 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Wellness Natural Pet Food Complete Health Natural Dry Puppy Food, Chicken, Salmon & Oatmeal, 15-Pound Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|NUTRO ULTRA High Protein Natural Dry Dog Puppy Food with a Trio of Proteins from Chicken Lamb and Salmon, 30 lb. Bag||Prime||Buy Now|
|Diamond Premium Recipe Complete And Balanced Dry Dog Food For Growing Puppies 20Lb||Prime||Buy Now|
Best Dry Puppy Food
1. Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food
The small breed pups are friendly and full of life, and they have different nutritive needs compared to medium and large breed canines. Whether your tiny mutt loves to relax around indoors or play outdoors, the Royal Canin small puppy dry dog food is explicitly formulated to meet his nutritional needs. It will aid him to sustain a healthy weight and perform his daily activities with full power. It is customized for doggies that are 10 months old and have an anticipated adult weight of 9 to 22 pounds.
This food will support his growing immune system with a perfect combination of antioxidants and vitamins. Furthermore, it contains highly digestible proteins and prebiotics that will promote healthy digestion. The reason we have added it to our list is that the small kibble is easy to chomp and digest, and it can boost their oral health. The brand has carefully designed it based on the puppies’ relatively swift growing-up phase.
- Royal Canin is one of the most reliable and renowned pet food brands worldwide.
- This best dog food for Rottweiler puppy offers tailored nutrition for small breed puppies.
- It contains chicken fat, wheat gluten, fish oil, corn gluten meal, vitamin B12 supplement, and many other highly nutritious ingredients.
- The healthy and high 29% protein comes from chicken by-product meal to help maintain strong muscle development. Besides, it keeps the gut healthy and improves stool quality.
- The small kibble is mainly designed to encourage munching and digesting in growing pups.
- It is suitable for hounds up to 10 months with an adult weight of 9 to 22 pounds.
- Moreover, it aids in developing a strong bone structure by providing a sufficient amount of calcium and phosphorus.
- The antioxidants help boost their natural defense system to fight against different types of diseases and health conditions.
- Best of all, it is affordable, so it won’t put a load on your wallet.
- Crude Protein (Min) 29.0%: Forms muscles, nails, and ligaments and plays a role in hormone creation.
- Crude Fat (Min) 18.0%: Biggest fuel source and make the energy they need for daily activities.
- Crude Fiber (Max) 3.3%: Absorbs excess water and generates a healthy intestinal pH which prevents the development of bad bacteria in the puppy’s gut.
- Vitamin E (Min) 350 IU/Kg: Improves their immune system, muscles, heart, skin, and coat health.
Royal Canin food is an ideal choice for small puppy sizes, and we are suitably impressed! We primarily like the high protein and fat levels that are essential for giving your adorable pooch their vital daily energy. This balanced diet improves their immunity and strengthens their bones, muscles that will benefit them when they become mature.
2. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Puppy
Hill’s science diet store is a well-known puppy food supplier and a darling of animal nutritionists and veterinarians across the United States. They add wholesome and hand-picked ingredients in their food products—something that makes them appealing to pooches. This particular dry food is specifically designed to take care of the growth needs of young canines. It gives them an extraordinary head start in life and allows them to accomplish their development potential.
It arrives in chicken flavor—something that your charming baby would love to eat. It is recommended by three of the vets we spoke to. They like it because it has gone through the AAFCO feeding trials and is budget-friendly to most pooch parents. It will take a short time for you to notice how much their coat shines from vitamin E and other nutrients present in this formula. Unfortunately, pups with sensitivities and grain, gluten allergies can’t eat it.
- Hill’s science best dry puppy food focuses on helping your puppy grow and maintain healthy muscles.
- Its ingredients are easily digestible and perfect for little pups. They would love the delicious chicken flavor and small kibble.
- It is an optimal option for small-breed dogs as it contains DHA for brain and eye development.
- This formula provides them with superior quality protein coming from the chicken meal and pork meal for forming lean muscles.
- It uses a balanced set of vitamins and minerals to bolster their immune system and support strong bones and teeth.
- Also, it is made of 100% natural ingredients to support heart health.
- It is a very tasty treat for mutts packed with vital nutrients carefully chosen to make little hounds more energetic and enable them to grow strong.
- Protein Min. 25.0 %: Allows their body to function appropriately.
- Fat Min. 15.0 %: Helps to regulate normal bodily functions, lowers inflammation, and provides energy to the body.
- Crude Fiber Max. 3.0 %: Prevents the development of undesirable bacteria and helps the colon recover from injury.
- Vitamin C Min. 95 Mg/Kg: Reduces harmful free radicals in your dog’s body and decreases inflammation.
- Vitamin E Min. 425 IU/Kg: Required for healthy muscles, immune system, and other body parts.
- DHA Min. 0.100 %: Important for brain and eye development.
It is the best food to feed a French bulldog puppy. It has small, easy-to-chew kibbles that are rich in flavor and energy. This nutritionally balanced and whole food provides them the nutrition they need to build strong muscles and an immune system.
3. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Puppy
The next food on our list is Blue Buffalo life protection formula for growing puppies. It has plenty of natural ingredients and extra minerals, and other nutrients to promote great health in your beloved canine. The small-sized kibbles are ideal even for the smallest doggies. It is deliberated to provide them enhanced energy and protein. Premium quality chicken and other meat products will help him form and maintain strong muscles and a perfect body condition.
Consumers support the claims made by the brand, praising the recipe for improving their dog’s immunity, digestive health and giving them the energy they need to perform their daily errands. It is a delicious and nutritious kibble that has DHA and ARA to promote vision and brain health. A seamless combination of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants is carefully picked by vets and nutritionists to improve their overall health and support life-stage dietary requirements.
- Blue buffalo life protection formula is the best food for a husky puppy with a sensitive stomach because it is wheat, soy, and corn-free.
- Also, it does not contain artificial flavors and preservatives, so it is a great choice if your pooch suffers from frequent tummy upsets.
- It is made with deboned chicken and chicken meal as the first ingredients.
- This grain-free puppy recipe has a precise mixture of protein and carbs to aid in maintaining the higher energy needs of growing canines.
- This dry kibble is manufactured with fiber-dense wholesome grains such as barley, oatmeal, and brown rice.
- On top of everything else, it also has the life source bits that are cold-formed to guarantee nutrient retention in the puppy food for labs.
- Life source bits boast a blend of minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins that promote life stage requirements, oxidative balance, and immunity.
- Calcium and phosphorus, along with necessary vitamins, support strong bones and teeth and healthy digestion.
- To support joint health and mobility, glucosamine has been incorporated into it.
- Crude Protein 27.0% Min: Required for structural makeup and immune system.
- Crude Fat 16.0% Min: Excellent source of energy for canines.
- Calcium 1.3% Min: Compulsory for growth and healthy bone and teeth maintenance.
- Phosphorus 1.0% Min: Helps in muscle contraction and nerve function.
- Choline 2,750 Mg/Kg Min: Supports normal liver function and decreases insulin requirements in diabetic dogs.
This dry dog food for Pitbull puppies to gain weight may be a little bit costly than other companies, but it ticks all the boxes on the taste and nourishment front. It is made of superior quality and organic ingredients, it has all vitamins and nutrients your furry companion needs to thrive.
4. Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Puppy Dog Food
Growing pups need a slightly different diet than fully grown dogs. They need more nutrients and calories in their diet to develop into powerful, mature mutts. That’s why; Purina, one smart blend natural puppy dog food is an impeccable choice as it is rich in healthy proteins, fats, antioxidants and supplemented with micronutrients. When the best dry puppy food begins with a fresh meat ingredient, that’s already a major favorable point.
In this recipe, chicken is the first ingredient, which conveys the meal with a considerable amount of glucosamine—a vital nutrient that is essential for joint and bone health. Also, it has whole grain corn, soybean meal, oatmeal, rice flour, and fish oil. This review will be incomplete if we won’t mention that this dog food for pitbull puppies to gain muscle is fortified with all necessary vitamins and minerals for healthy bones and teeth.
- Purina one smart blend is a healthy formula that is intended for puppies.
- It features real chicken as its primary ingredient, which serves as a premium quality source of protein.
- It provides them everything they need for proper growth and muscle support.
- Together with chicken and chicken by-product meal, it is combined with oatmeal and rice flour to give your cutie pie the nutrition he requires.
- On the other hand, it boasts DHA to promote his cognitive function and vision development.
- We like it because it is highly digestible and helps your pup sustain healthy joints and bones.
- A good thing about it is that fillers are not added to it, so you can rest assured that this vet-recommended recipe is of high value and retains its nutrient profile.
- Crude Protein (Min) 28.0%: Amino acids they obtain from protein are mandatory for healthy skin, muscle growth, and tissue repair.
- Crude Fat (Min) 17.0%: Gives structure to food and helps in keeping their coat shiny and healthy.
- Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%: An omega 6 fatty acid that is important for growth and skin lesions prevention.
- Zinc (Zn) (Min) 150 Mg/Kg: Essential for thyroid and immune system function.
- Selenium (Se) (Min) 0.35 Mg/Kg: Contributes to numerous aspects of puppies’ physiology such as thyroid hormone metabolism, antioxidant protection, and immune function.
Overall, it is an outstanding puppy food for large breeds that provides a whole and balanced diet and helps them live an active and healthy life. Besides, it is directed by vets as it contains all nutrients they need for better growth, a healthy heart, immune system, and resilient muscles.
5. Pedigree Complete Nutrition Puppy Dry Dog Food
Puppies need food that is suitable for their development requirements. That’s why; the Pedigree complete nutrition puppy dry dog food is a worthwhile meal that you can pour into your pooch’s bowl with great confidence. It has a significantly higher dose of protein, but with the right amount of calories, so your pet will grow into a healthy mature dog. The company has integrated poultry by-product meal as well as ground whole grain corn into it. Best of all, it contains calcium and phosphorus that help them grow at a normal rate.
DHA is also present for proper brain and vision development. This recipe ticks all boxes, but it is not suitable for pups who frequently suffer from digestive problems because it contains grains. However, if your pup is not a fussy eater and is generally healthy, this food for mini American shepherd is a good, budget-friendly option for several pet parents. We have also been feeding it to our golden retriever puppy that has a delicate stomach. He seems to love this recipe. The best thing about it is that it does not give him gas or diarrhea. It has helped him get a shinier coat and strong teeth.
- This grain-inclusive best dry puppy food is created to meet the developmental requirements of 6 weeks to 18 months old pups.
- The delicious chicken and vegetable recipe is loaded with nutrients identical to the mom’s milk.
- Ground whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, bone meal, and corn gluten meal are its fundamental ingredients.
- We assure you that your little doggie will love its rich chicken flavor.
- Young pups with the smallest mouths and teeth can easily chew small-sized kibbles. Its crunchy texture will help them maintain their dental hygiene.
- DHA is inserted into it for healthy brain and eye development.
- Additionally, it contains calcium and phosphorous that support strong bones and healthy teeth.
- Crude Protein (Min.) 27.0%: Essential for muscle growth and other body functions.
- Crude Fat (Min.) 11.0%: Major energy source for dogs.
- Calcium (Min.) 1.2%: Supports teeth and bone health.
- Phosphorus (Min.) 1.0%: Major component of bones.
- Copper (Min.) 12.4 Mg/Kg: Vital for production and activity of red blood cells
If you are looking for the best puppy food for Doberman pinschers that have added nutrients, especially calcium and phosphorous, then Pedigree complete nutrition puppy dry dog food fits the mold. It has got high-quality protein to support your furry buddy’s muscle development. Furthermore, it does not contain artificial flavors, extra sugar, and fructose corn syrup.
6. Taste Of The Wild Dry Dog Food With Smoked Salmon
The dog foods sold underneath the taste of the wild firm are created by diamond pet foods, a USA-based pet food company. Their plants are sited in Meta, South Carolina, Lathrop, and many other cities. Modern science has proved that hounds and wolves have similar build and general traits. Considering this fact, canines require the same foods as wolves, so feeding them this dry kibble can help you attain the goal of giving them nutrients sourced from salmon fish.
Fruits and vegetables are included in it to provide their bodies requisite antioxidants. It has a high amount of protein to aid support their bones, joints, and muscles. This nutrient-dense formula provides them the energy to flourish. Omega fatty acids are also present for healthy coats and skin. We have incorporated it into our list because it is made without corn, wheat, grain, and artificial colors.
- If you have adopted a puppy that adores fish, then he will definitely love the Taste of the Wild dry dog food with smoked salmon.
- It does not contain beef and chicken protein, so it is a seamless choice for pups that suffer from those meat allergies.
- The mouth-watering fish canine food has a pulsating combination of carbohydrates, fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals for optimal growth and development.
- One of the noteworthy features of this affordable recipe is that it is rich in fish oil DHA that boosts brain and eye development. Needless to mention, fish protein is also liable for strong muscle development.
- Tomato pomace is also present in it that is made of tomato pulp, skin, and seed.
- Besides, it has highly soluble fiber that makes it effortless for young mutts to digest and absorb their food.
- To promote healthy digestion and immune system, species-specific K9 strain proprietary probiotics and prebiotics are included in it.
- Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from vegetables, fruits, and superfoods will help them fight diseases, increase energy, and maintain overall good health.
- Crude Protein 27.0 % Minimum: Supplies amino acids to form ligaments, skin, hair, and muscles.
- Crude Fat 15.0% Minimum: Required to regulate normal functions and an outstanding source of energy for dogs.
- Selenium 0.35 Mg/Kg Minimum: Necessary for the accurate function of metabolism.
- Taurine 0.12% Minimum: Important for normal cardiac functions.
- Zinc 150 Mg/Kg Minimum: Plays a role in various substances in their bodies, including hormones, proteins, and more.
If your pooch has a meat allergy, then we would recommend feeding him a taste of the wild puppy food for large breeds. It has a long list of superior quality ingredients that are naturally sourced to provide your darling pup all the nutrients he needs to grow properly.
7. Wag Dry Puppy Food – Best Puppy Food
Wag vet recommended puppy food is acquiring the right dose of nutrients and, at 36% protein, fits the mold when it comes to the imperatives you need to support your sweetheart’s health and growth. And we should not forget the limitless energy and curiosity. This tasty chicken, lentils, and peas recipe come with small-sized kibbles that are designed for mini mouths and are supremely easy to chew. Moreover, it provides a tempting and satisfying meal. But, to live an active and healthy life, growing canines need to have all the key nutrients. So, this premium quality food has it covered.
Good ingredients, vitamins, and minerals are incorporated into it, along with salmon oil, chicken fat, and flaxseed for omega fatty acids. To promote their gut health, the company has added probiotics to it. On the other hand, it is free from corn, grain, wheat, preservatives, and artificial flavors. One of our friends used to feed this grain-free food to her puppy that had horrendous gas issues a few months ago. After feeding it to him for a few days, she noticed that he was sleeping peacefully, and the gas problem was also solved.
- Wag has manufactured the chicken and lentil recipe for puppies to provide them everything they need to develop into handsome and healthy adults.
- It does showcase a few dietary differences from other formulas by wag, such as it contains a tad bit more protein.
- It complies with the guidelines fixed by the AAFCO for all life stages, including small and large-breed doggies.
- It has a strong focus on chicken ingredients such as chicken and chicken meal, so it offers fat and protein in a higher quantity.
- Additionally, it makes use of peas and lentils that are the major sources of carbs.
- Unfortunately, like other adult formulas, it also makes use of pea protein. But as it has a higher amount of chicken protein, so pea protein has a minor effect.
- Crude Protein 36% Minimum: Important for maintaining life process.
- Crude Fat 16% Minimum: Fuels their muscles and creates the energy they need to move.
- Crude Fiber 5.5% Maximum: Minimizes constipation and absorbs water.
- Vitamin E 150 IU/Kilogram Minimum: Develops strong and healthy muscles.
- Omega-6 Fatty Acid 2.8% Minimum: Necessary for the immune system, skin, and coat health.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid 0.4% Minimum: Supports proper development and function of brain and vision.
Wag dry food for Boston terrier puppy is a fantastic all-rounder recipe, especially for those pooches that don’t have special needs. It is obtainable at a very cost-effective price, which is good news for puppy owners with limited incomes. High-quality ingredients will help your pooch to stay healthy and active.
8. Merrick Puppy Dry Dog Food with Real Meat
Are you on the outlook for a great quality dry food for a German shepherd puppy with a sensitive stomach that is loaded with healthy proteins and fats? Then, you should opt for this grain-free recipe because it is whole, balanced, and nutritious. This chicken and sweet potatoes recipe is specially produced with whole foods. Real deboned chicken is its primary ingredient, providing superior quality protein to aid form and maintain healthy muscles, tissues, and energy levels for young mutts of all breeds.
With a whopping 60% protein and fat ingredients and 40% fiber, vitamins, minerals, and other natural ingredients, this best dry puppy food is jam-packed with protein and fiber. Besides, it boasts DHA to increase cognitive and vision development. The mini kibbles have leading levels of omega fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat. Also, it has chondroitin and glucosamine that are responsible for better joint health. This organic formula is corn, wheat, soy, and gluten-free. Best of all, the firm has not included preservatives and artificial colors in it.
- The Merrick puppy dry dog food with real meat is anticipated for pups because they have different macronutrient needs than mature pooches.
- All the dry food formulas of this brand are nutritious and well-balanced, but this specific recipe boasting sweet potatoes and chicken is one the best kibbles currently available in the market.
- High-quality ingredients such as salmon meal, deboned salmon, chicken meal, deboned chicken, sunflower oil, apples, and many others make it the healthiest and tastier treat.
- As it has a higher amount of protein and fat, so it is a splendid option for highly active puppies that need high-protein diets.
- A bunch of fresh whole foods adds all the essential minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients to the recipe.
- Furthermore, extra probiotics are inserted to improve their digestion and nutrient absorption.
- The only downside of it is that it is very expensive, so not all puppy owners can afford it.
- Crude Protein (Min.) 28%: Allows their body to work properly.
- Crude Fat (Min.) 16%: Biggest energy source.
- Crude Fiber (Max.) 4.50 %: Contributes to fecal consistency.
- Calcium (Min.) 1.20%: Plays a role in nutrient absorption and bone development.
- Phosphorus (Min.) 1.00%: Major component of bone and plays a small role in hormone transmission.
- Taurine (Min.) 0.17%: Important for bile acid metabolism.
- Glucosamine (Min) 800 Mg/Kg: Vital building block of several parts of dogs’ joints.
- Chondroitin Sulfate (Min.) 800 Mg/Kg: Helps in shock absorption and water retention.
Treat your dog with real deboned chicken, turkey meal, chicken meal, and salmon meal blended with the freshest produce ever. We loved this handcrafted formula because it is rich in highly nutritious ingredients, gut-friendly probiotics, and prebiotics. It gives them whole nutrition without upsetting their stomach.
9. Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
If you are hunting for dog food that is well-suited for large breed puppies and comes in a bigger-sized bag, then this Purina pro plan dog food for pitbull puppies to gain weight is highly recommended for you. Not only does it arrive in a 47 LB bag, but it also contains chicken and rice as its first ingredients. Chicken is the ingredient that the majority of growing pooches love. The large-sized bag can last from several weeks to months, so you won’t have to worry about buying it any time soon.
Aside from chicken, it has a poultry by-product meal (source of glucosamine) that keeps their bones and joints in tip-top condition. It provides the building blocks they need to sustain their active lifestyle. Along with that, it contains DHA for excellent cognitive and retinal development. On the other hand, this nutrient-dense recipe is deliberated for pups weighing over 50 pounds in adulthood. Three of the vets we talked to recommended it because its ingredients are carefully picked for an exclusive nourishing purpose.
- Purina pro plan puppy food is one of the best dry kibbles for large breed puppies.
- The uniqueness of this diet is that it is researched and tested by animal nutritionists and vets.
- This chicken and rice formula is a superb way to foster the developing needs of pups.
- It has a slightly higher amount of protein and slightly minor content of fat than adult recipes.
- Moreover, it provides the optimal amount of energy for active canines and also facilitates their optimum growth.
- Vitamin A, omega 6 fatty acids, and DHA are accountable for nourishing their brain and eye development and keeping their coat and skin healthy.
- This dry food helps them with easier digestion and muscles and organs building.
- Besides, antioxidants will help improve his immune system.
- Crude Protein (Min) 28.0%: Vital for hormone generation.
- Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg: Supports vision, bone, and immune response.
- Vitamin E (Min) 100 IU/kg: Required for healthy immune and circulatory systems.
- Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.6%: Prevents water loss and entry of microbes through the skin.
Overall, Purina is one of the best pet food brands in the industry, recognized for supplying premium quality products at reasonable prices. And this best dry puppy food can deliver all of the compulsory nutrients to your pup while providing him a lip-smacking chicken flavor. The cherry on the top will last for long durations of time as it is available in a 47 LB bag.
10. Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Puppy Food
The next recipe on our list is Instinct raw boost grain-free puppy food that is made with all-natural bites of freeze-dried raw chicken. As it is a grain-free formula, so it does not contain wheat, soy, potato, grain, by-product meals, and other ingredients that can cause allergies. Also, it is absolutely free of preservatives, artificial flavors, and artificial colors, all harsh ingredients that have harmful impacts on our little buddies’ health.
While it lacks things that are unsuitable for them, but there is no shortage of fruits, vegetables, and other real, wholesome ingredients. Cage-free chicken is its fundamental ingredient for higher energy to develop and play, which is followed by chicken meal and turkey meal, so it offers a sufficient amount of protein to promote the growth of lean muscle mass. Protein is mandatory for mutts, but particularly for furry friends that are in their growth phase.
- This dry dog food for pitbull puppies to gain muscle is specially crafted for the nutritional needs of young canines.
- The protein-rich kibbles are blended with freeze-dried raw bites produced of real chicken.
- If you want to introduce your pup to a raw diet, then you must try this outstanding item.
- As it is made of cage-free chicken, it has 34% protein, so it will stimulate the hunger of little pups.
- Chicken fat, salmon oil, peas, chickpeas, carrots, apples, blueberries, cranberries, and dried tomato pomace provide fiber, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, probiotics, omegas, and carbs to dogs who need high energy.
- According to consumer reviews, puppies just love this recipe, and they quickly eat the small kibble pieces that are sized for their mini mouths.
- Crude Protein (Min) 34 %: Forms and repairs muscles and body tissues.
- Crude Fat (Min) 21.50 %: Necessary for absorption of fat-soluble vitamins-A, D, and E
- Zinc 120 Mg/Kg: Plays a significant role in various metabolic processes.
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (Min) 100 Mg/Kg: Reduces inflammation and free radicals in their body.
- Bacillus Coagulans (Min) 60,000,000 CFU/Lb: Used for diarrhea, gas, and airway infections.
If you want to switch your pooch to a raw diet, then Instinct raw boost might be exactly what you are questing for. It integrates bites of raw, freeze-dried chicken into the kibble, giving your precious baby a tasty meal in every serving.
11. Iams Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken
IAMS puppy food for Labs is not just highly nourishing and tempting; it is also developed to cater to the growth needs of medium-breed pups. It ensures the finest level of health and development. This formula has beetroot pulp which aids the digestive region to support healthy digestion and immune system. It will improve skin and coat health, energy levels, brain functions and strengthen the muscles.
Besides, it has 22 key nutrients that are present in mommy’s milk. It supports cognition and eye health with omega 3 DHA and makes your little companion easy to train and smarter. Real chicken is its major protein source and primary ingredient. Sadly, it contains fillers, by-products, and preservatives, so some dogs can experience vomiting, diarrhea, and other stomach-related issues.
- IAMS Puppy dry dog food is specifically formulated to provide puppies of the medium breed with the nourishment they need during the tremendously significant growth stage.
- What really makes it stand out from other dog foods is that it flaunts 22 key nutrients that are only found in bitch’s milk. So, you can consider it a milk alternative.
- Another key nutrient of this recipe is DHA, which is critical for their brain and retinal development.
- Also, it will strengthen their teeth, joints, muscles, and bones, as well as the immune system.
- Puppy owners feed it to their darling mutts because the ingredients are very easy to digest, so it’s easy on tiny stomachs of pups.
- Crude Protein (Min.) 29.0%: Source of amino acids.
- Crude Fat (Min.) 17.5%: Nutrient absorbent and inflammation reducer.
- Selenium (Min.) 0.35 Mg/Kg: Important for immune function.
- Vitamin E (Min.) 60 IU/Kg: Plays a key role in immune system, liver, heart, skin, and coat health.
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids (Min.) 2.35%: Required for cell function and membrane structure.
To guarantee that your little one is obtaining all nutrients that he requires, consider serving him IAMS dog food for English mastiff puppy. It features 22 vital nutrients that they need for proper development.
12. Diamond Naturals Premium Large Breed Formulas Dry Dog Food
Produced with ingredients of stellar quality, Diamond Naturals puppy food for large breeds provides comprehensive and holistic nutrition for all puppies. It is boosted with superfoods and probiotics for better digestive support and nourishment. Specially made to fulfill the dietary requirements of large breed doggies, this delicious recipe has DHA for proper cognitive and retinal development.
The highest content of minerals and protein helps build muscles, nail skin, and other body parts, as well as teeth and bone maintenance. Lamb and lamb meal are its main ingredients, and with chia seeds, pumpkin, and quinoa, he will always stay energetic and fit. On the other hand, the brand has integrated omegas and antioxidants into it to help them grow and develop in the best way possible. L-Carnitine is responsible for converting fat and protein into energy for excellent body condition.
- This lamb and rice recipe is premium quality dry puppy food that is anticipated for large breed hounds.
- By feeding it to them, you can ensure they are getting all the necessary vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals according to their size.
- The most notable feature of this formula is that it is on the affordable side, so you will be able to stay within your monthly budget if you transit to this dry kibble.
- This complete and balanced food is terrific for growing pooches because it offers them more protein and DHA from salmon oil for brain and vision development.
- Besides, the kibble is sized perfectly and is easy to chew and digest.
- Crude Protein 27.0% Minimum: Supplies amino acids for hair, skin, and other body parts building.
- Crude Fat 15.0% Minimum: Essential for normal body functions.
- L-Carnitine 300 mg/kg Minimum: An amino acid nutrient that is used for treating heart diseases.
- Vitamin A 15,000 IU/kg Minimum: Supports vision, bone growth, and immune response.
- Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum: Necessary for the development of strong muscles and immunity.
Are you looking for a tasty and whole dry kibble that can meet the nutritional needs of your large breed pup? Then, give a shot to Diamond Naturals dog food. It is highly suitable for those pet parents who have a limited budget but don’t want to compromise on quality.
13. Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Puppy Food
The Wellness large breed puppy food is a splendid source of whole and balanced nutrition for young pups. It flaunts protein-dense deboned chicken and chicken meal as the first ingredients, along with peas and oatmeal as carbs for energy. It is rich in super nutrients as it incorporates sweet potatoes, blueberries, and apples. A good thing about it is that it does not contain artificial preservatives, fillers, and meat by-products.
The presence of DHA from salmon oil ensures healthy brain development, and omegas guarantee healthy skin and a thick coat. Furthermore, antioxidants promote a strong immune system. The biggest source of fat in this dry kibble is chicken fat, which delivers concentrated energy for puppies. In terms of supplements, it contains a variety of synthetic vitamins and minerals to improve their overall health.
- The wellness complete health is the best food to feed French bulldog puppy because it has deboned chicken and chicken meal as the first ingredients.
- With this dry kibble, your sweetheart will surely get enough amount of high-quality protein that will help him grow and develop properly.
- Ground flaxseed helps to ensure a faultless balance of omega 3, 6 fatty acids for their healthy coat and skin.
- The presence of barley and oatmeal would be beneficial for him if he does not have grain sensitivities.
- Chicken fat, along with carbs, makes it highly digestible and exceptional for bowel movement.
- For bone and muscle development, it is fortified with high levels of calcium and phosphorus.
- Crude Protein Not Less Than 29.00%: Necessary for forming muscle mass.
- Calcium Not Less Than 1.20%: Helps in sustaining strong muscles, teeth, and bones.
- Phosphorus Not Less Than 1.00%: Vital for cell development.
- Crude Fiber Not Less Than 4.50%: Promotes regular bowel movement.
In our honest opinion, Wellness dog food for Dalmatian puppy is a viable option because it contains wholesome grains. This simple diet is full of nutrients that your mutt needs for lifetime health and wellbeing. Also, it is a delicious and affordable formula, so you can buy it without overthinking.
14. NUTRO ULTRA Puppy Dry Dog Food
Nutro ultra puppy dry dog food comes with the seamless blend of high-quality lean proteins, wholesome grains and seeds, healthy oils, and antioxidants-dense veggies and fruits to facilitate your adorable dog to grow properly and live a healthy life. To make it, the brand has utilized organic and holistic ingredients, so it features optimum levels of amino acids and a mouth-watering taste for your pooch. It is exclusively designed for young canines up to one year old.
Although it is envisioned for pups, you can also feed it to your pregnant and nursing bitches as it meets the nutritional levels set by AAFCO. Farm-raised chicken, salmon, and lamb are its biggest protein sources that provide distinctive and complementary amino acids that support strong muscles. It is precisely manufactured with perfect levels of fat to maintain the high energy levels of pups.
- NUTRO ULTRA Puppy dry dog food is a top-rated dry kibble from the organization that is made for pups (up to 12 months).
- It includes healthy grains and seeds, antioxidant-rich produce, proteins, and fats.
- Its first three ingredients are chicken, chicken meal (source of glucosamine), and whole brown rice.
- Real and superior quality ingredients are used for making the kibble, so it provides complete and balanced nutrition for mutts in every meal.
- It is customized to cater to the dietary requirements of canines and support healthy growth and cognitive development.
- We have added this best dry puppy food to our list because it has a unique combination of fifteen superfoods, including kale, flaxseed, brown rice, blueberries, and many others. They are full of antioxidants that are accountable for a strong immune system.
- On top of everything else, this tasty formula makes use of NON-GMO ingredients.
- Crude Protein 28.0% Min: Permits metabolic reaction to take place.
- Crude Fat 15.0% Min: Main energy source.
- Crude Fiber 4.0% Max: Important for gut health.
- Docosahexaenoic Acid 0.1% Min: Major structural component of the brain.
- Calcium 1.2% Min: Plays a role in nutrient absorption.
Puppies deserve to enjoy their food just like us; therefore, Nutro Ultra offers a delicious and healthy recipe that both satisfies their appetite and nourishes them. Also, it won’t break your bank.
15. Diamond Premium Puppy Complete and Balanced Dry Dog Food
The nutrition newborn pups acquire in the first year affects their overall health and wellbeing in the coming years. The diamond puppy recipe is specifically created to meet the unique nutritional needs of quickly growing mutts. We are pleased with this whole and balanced food because it has DHA, which supports proper brain and vision development. Also, it contains healthy omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and a higher quantity of fat and protein.
You can not only feed it to pups but pregnant and lactating bitches as well. The brand is renowned for its well-balanced recipes that are loaded with premium quality proteins and other nutrients, and this formula is no different. Chicken by-product meal is its first ingredient, and whole-grain ground corn and wheat flour are its secondary ingredients. Best of all, it comes in three different sizes: 8 LB, 20 LB, and 40 LB.
- This premium dry kibble has been carefully produced with the highest levels of pure protein possible for your cutie pie.
- Protein, antioxidants, and fats make up the majority of this formula, and all of them are extremely important for your hound.
- On the other hand, this dry food for golden retriever puppy vaunts a full slate of minerals and vitamins requisite for muscle and bone growth.
- DHA from salmon oil will help develop his brain and retinal centers.
- The kibble is smaller, so it will be easier for him to eat and digest it.
- Fiber will improve their digestive health, and fatty acids will keep their coat shinier and skin healthier.
- Crude Protein 31.0% Min: Repairs and builds tissues.
- Crude Fat 20.0% Min: Form of energy that regulates body functions.
- Phosphorus 1.0% Min: Required for energy usage, transfer, and metabolism.
- Vitamin A 15,000 IU/kg min: Supports bone growth and reproduction.
If you are interested in meeting all of your dog’s nutritional needs with a single food, Diamond premium puppy complete and balanced dry dog food is the right product for you. This special formula is tested and recommended by vets, and if you feed it to him daily during his first year, he will grow to be big and powerful indeed.
Best dry Puppy food Buying Guide
What Is The Difference Between A Puppy And Dog Food?
It does not matter how big they get; they are categorized as “puppies” until they are 1 year old. During this period, they need to consume high-quality and nutritious food exclusively made for this stage of life.
According to AAFCO, they need at least 22% protein and 8.5% of fat. It means that the best food for the husky puppy with a sensitive stomach should contain more nutrients than the food for adult dogs. Their food should include:
- Protein, as a mandatory ingredient
- Fats and carbohydrates for optimum development and energy
- Omega 3, 6 fatty acids for enhancing brain, retinal functions and for keeping the coat, skin healthy
- Calcium for strong bones and teeth
Needless to say, adult dog kibble might be too big or too hard for puppies to chew and digest. Considering this, pet parents should know the difference between puppy and dog food and buy an appropriate diet for their furry fellows.
What Are The Advantages Of Feeding Dry Food To Your Puppy?
Both dry and wet foods have their own advantages and disadvantages. Still, in certain circumstances, dry food is the best choice than wet food.
Its texture and consistency can help them maintain their oral health. Some dry food companies specifically produce food to clean their teeth and remove plaque as the doggies eat it.
A Lot Of Nutrients
It has more carbohydrates and protein than canned food, so energy-wise, it is an excellent option.
Easy To Store
Dry food has a long shelf life, which means you can store it for a long time without worrying about it spoiling. Also, there is no need to refrigerate it.
Important Nutrients For Puppies
Fat And Fatty Acids
They are required for a group of body functions. They are vital for keeping their skin and coat healthy. Fatty acids such as DHA help in brain and eye health. Furthermore, they can make it easier for you to train them. (source)
Glucosamine And Chondroitin
They can relieve joint pain and slow down arthritis damage. Puppy foods with glucosamine and chondroitin are beneficial for the joint and bone health of large breed mutts.
They deliver dietary fiber and energy to the body. They aid in maintaining regular bowel movements. Corn, wheat, rice, and oats are the biggest sources of carbs.
Vitamins And Minerals
Vitamins and minerals are mandatory for their healthy growth. Minerals such as calcium and phosphorus can help their bones grow properly.
It is needed for their healthy development throughout the various life stages. But especially, they will require a lot more protein for bone and muscle growth up until 6 months as they are developing at the fastest rate.
It is necessary for building healthy muscles and ensuring exceptional organ, nerve function as well as for healthy skin and a thicker coat. According to research, puppies that did not get a sufficient amount of protein exhibited the symptoms of diminutive growth. Also, you should provide them superior quality protein.
Essential Things To Consider While Buying The Best Dry Puppy Food
There is a huge variety of puppy food for large breeds available on the market, which can make picking the right one for your cutie pie a hectic task. Here are the essential things you need to consider in stellar quality food for young pups:
You should feed well-balanced food to your canine, as he needs much more energy for his activity and rapid growth. That’s why; it should contain the right proportion of carbs, vitamins, minerals, protein, and fats.
Before purchasing food for a golden retriever puppy, make sure to read online reviews to find a manufacturer of good reputation among puppy parents. Discovering a firm you can trust might be difficult, but some online digging will make the undertaking easier.
Grains Or Grain-Free
It is extremely difficult for dogs to process grains. Many pet food brands include grains in their foods as cost-effective fillers. But, according to FDA, grain-free recipes are also not 100% safe. You need to know that grains also have some nutritional value.
Keeping this in mind, wholesome grains might be the ideal option. Basically, they are carbohydrates, but wholesome grains also include iron, vitamins, and calcium. So, if your pooch does not have any sensitivity to grains, you can feed them grain puppy food.
Before buying the best dry puppy food, don’t forget to check the ingredients mentioned in the packaging. The best food should have “whole meat,” not meat by-products. Meat by-product meal has all parts of the animal. Also, their food should contain veggies, fruits, and good fats. But, it should not contain wheat, gluten, synthetic vitamins, and injurious chemicals such as BHT and BHA.
Dogs belong to different breeds. They have different nutritional needs, behavior, appearance, and health problems. First of all, the best food for a mini American shepherd should be small. The mouth and jaw size of tiny canines won’t allow them to eat bigger pieces.
Small breed pooches have a fast metabolic rate, so they need more calories than adult dogs. Therefore, it is better to feed them caloric-dense food at least 4 to 6 times a day to avoid low blood sugar levels. You should buy a smaller-sized puppy food loaded with calories. On the other hand, large and giant-breed dogs are susceptible to bone and joint-related diseases such as hip dysplasia and OCD.
Although some joint-related issues are hereditary, the inaccurate type of food can worsen these conditions. The sooner you begin giving them good food, the better. Besides, you should feed them joint-supporting supplements. You should not overfeed large breed pooches such as Labs and golden retrievers because they are prone to obesity.
Puppy Feeding Schedule
6 To 12 Weeks
At this stage, they are growing at the fastest rate, so they need a diet that is specifically manufactured to deliver the nutrition they need for proper growth and development. 4 to 6 meals a day would be enough to meet their dietary needs. Large breed mutts can consume dry kibble for around 9 to 10 weeks. However, if your pup belongs to a small breed, give him dry food at 12 weeks.
3 To 6 Months
At this stage, you can feed them 3 meals a day. Now, they should start losing their rounded stomach and become slender.
6 To 12 Months
From 6 to 12 months, you can give them food two times a day. After spying, transition them from puppy food for Doberman pinschers to adult dog food. Small breed canines should be moved between 7 and 9 months, while large breed hounds should be switched after 12 months.
After 12 Months
At this age, feed them two half-portions every day.
Puppy feeding chart
|Dog Weight (Lbs)||Dog Weight (Kg)||Cups Per Day||Grams Per Day|
|7 To 17||3 To 7||½ To 1||60 To 120|
|18 To 23||8 To 10||1 To 1 1/3||120 To 160|
|24 To 45||11 To 20||1 ½ To 2 1/3||180 To 280|
|46 To 65||21 To 29||2 1/3 To 3||280 To 360|
|66 To 85||30 To 38||3 ¼ To 3 ¾||390 To 450|
|86 To 105||39 To 47||3 ¾ To 4 ½||450 To 540|
|106 To 125||48 To 57||4 ½ To 5||540 To 600|
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Dry Puppy Food For German Shepherd Lab Mix The Best?
Many pooch parents prefer feeding their dogs dry kibble. Both dry and canned foods have pros and cons, but generally speaking, dry food is ideal for their dental health and is inexpensive.
2. What Puppy Food For Large Breeds Do Vets Recommend?
Although there is some vet-recommended puppy food, they don’t recommend a particular brand. Instead, they suggest avoiding processed foods and advise opting for companies that make meals and formulas that comply with the AAFCO standards. Most importantly, Vets recommend buying puppy food for Doberman pinschers that is suitable for their breed and lifestyle.
3. Is It A Good Idea To Mix Wet And Dry Food?
Yes, you can mix them to create one delicious meal. This tasty combination will make your fur baby happy and healthy and help him digest it easily.
4. How Long To Feed The Best Dry Puppy Food?
Well, it depends. Young pups and mature mutts have different nutritional requirements. But some puppy breeds may be able to eat certain kinds of dog foods.
5. What Is The Ideal Time To Feed My Canine?
Typically, you should serve them food thrice a day. It is better to feed them at the same time every day. You can give them their first meal early, around 8 am in the morning, second meal around 1 pm in the noontime, and the third meal around 6 to 7 pm in the evening. You can adjust the feedings and feeding times according to your wish. Just make sure there is adequate time between feedings for your four-legged friend to digest the food to prevent health issues.
6. What Leftovers Can I Give To My Pooch?
You can give them fish, meat, and chicken as a treat because they are packed with protein. Boiled eggs, potatoes, fruits, and vegetables are also healthy options.
7. Can I Only Feed Dry Kibble To My Puppy?
The majority of dry foods available out there offer comprehensive and balanced nutrition. If you are selecting the right food, you can certainly feed dry kibble alone to promote his growth and great health.
8. Can A 9-Week Old Puppy Eat Dry Food?
Once he is 9 and 10 weeks old, he will start consuming dry blue buffalo puppy food. At this age, you can free-feed him. It means you can leave the dish of kibble out for him to scrape on throughout the day.
9. Should You Add Water To Puppy Kibble?
Some puppies like to eat wet food, so if you want to feed him dry food, it would be a good idea to add some water to kibble. Also, moistened dry food would be easy to eat, and your canine will have a more amusing eating experience. However, keep in mind that you can’t leave the wet food out for the whole day.
10. What Can I Mix With Puppy Kibble?
You can add lightly cooked meat or eggs, lightly steamed vegetables, oils for fatty acids, cottage cheese, yogurt, canned fish, raw poultry, and digestive enzymes in the dry kibble.
Adopting an adorable pup will bring a lot of joy and responsibilities to your life. It is your duty to pick the best dry puppy food for your four-legged companion so that he grows up properly and stays healthy, strong throughout his life. You should give them food based on their breed, weight, and age, so they get all the essential nutrients they need for the proper development of all body parts and organs. With the options mentioned in this review, it will become easier for you to find out the right food for your pup because you now know what things to look for.